It was my sister Sarah’s birthday yesterday, so a festive cocktail was in order. The criteria for our drink was that we wanted to utilize seasonal fruit and fresh herbs plus it needed to be extra cold for these hot summer days—so a frozen, slushy drink was top of mind.
Strawberry margaritas are always a win, but adding the fresh mint just pushed it over the top. Another key ingredient was using Blue Agave Sweetener instead of simple syrup. This not only is a healthier option, but you don’t have the hassle of making the simple syrup—win, win!
This recipe makes a pitcher full of slushy goodness, perfect for beating the heat and enjoying at your summer BBQs.
- 16 oz of fresh strawberries, hulled (About 3 cups) – plus leave a couple whole for your garnish
- 2/3 cup fresh lime juice (Juice from 3-4 large limes)
- 1 cup Tequila
- 1/4 cup Triple Sec
- 1/2 cup Blue Agave Sweetener (Add to taste)
- Mint leaves
- Ice (About 6 cups)
- Margarita Salt
- In blender, combine strawberries, lime juice, tequila and triple sec. Blend until smooth. Let mixture settle and remove the foam layer that forms on the top. To remove, just skim off foam with a spoon.
- Add in the blue agave sweetener & mint leaves (to taste, start with 8-10 leaves). Fill the blender with ice (about 6 cups) and blend until you get a slushy consistency.
- To garnish glasses (optional), rub a lime wedge around the rim of your glass. Dip your glass in margarita salt (or for a sweeter option, use sugar). Add a strawberry to the rim and two mint leaves. Enjoy!
My niece wanted in on our summery drinks, so we ended up making a virgin option for her. We combined strawberries, lime juice, orange juice, agave sweetener and ice. She seemed very pleased with her virgin cocktail and she wants us to create a kid-friendly recipe so I can blog about it. I’m thinking instead of repeating strawberries, maybe a Lemon Blackberry Slush would be fun. So stay tuned!