When setting a kids table I always love having an activity. For Thanksgiving, I wanted something that not only kept the kids busy while we ate, but also something that had them think about what they are grateful for this year. The Thankful Turkeys require the kids to write something they are grateful for on each of the turkeys feathers. They then put the feathers on their turkey and display them for everyone to see. The kids also can share their turkeys at the end of dinner with the whole family.
Like most families, we have a kids table, so I set each kid place setting with all the materials they would need for the craft, including the free print-it-yourself Thankful Turkey Printable I designed. The free printable is a two-page PDF file that has the feathers, head and beak patterns. In addition to the Thankful Turkey Printable, you’ll need the below list of materials. Also see below for the step-by-step tutorial and pictures of each step. If you have any questions, just leave a comment or contact me directly and I can help you out.
Please note, there is a prep step for parents to do before the kids start their craft session. See below for more details.
Materials for One Turkey
- FREE Thankful Turkey Printable
- White Card Stock
- Brown Paper Berry Basket
- Glue Stick
- 2 Googly Eyes
- Red Tissue paper
Instructions for Parents
- Print the FREE Thankful Turkey printable on 8.5 x 11 white card stock. File includes 2 pages.
- Mark the berry baskets with the cut marks so your child will know where to cut come time to put on the feathers. From the left: Draw 1) a small cut a line on the top of basket 2) a small cut line in the middle slot 3) a small cut a long cut until the lip line. REPEAT on the opposite side of the basket. Depending on the age of your child, you may want to just cut the cutlines yourself. (See below for a picture of the cut lines.)
Instructions for Kids
- Cut out all pieces on your printable.
- Cut your berry baskets according to the marks created by your parent. (See below for a picture of this step.)
- Rip a piece of red tissue paper for your Turkey’s gobble.
- Glue on eyes, red gobble and beak to the brown turkey head. Glue the whole thing to the front of the berry basket. (The front is the side opposite the longest cut line for the feathers.)
- Time to add your feathers. Decide where you want each feather and then write on each feather what you are thankful for this year. Once you write what you are thankful for either insert into a slot on one of the sides or tape to the back.
- Share your Thankful Turkey with your family and friends and ask them what they are thankful for this year!
To add a name banner: use party straws in coordinating colors. Stick 3 white feathers into the top of a straw. Print or write names on a strip of paper and tape to the straw. Cut a small “x” on the bottom of the berry basket. Place the berry basket bottom side up on your plate and insert straw. This is a great way to show the kids where they sit, plus they feel special finding their name.
Be sure to also check out my Thanksgiving Kids Table where I used the Thankful Turkeys. All the patterns and elements really went well together to create a really fun kids table experience.
Download the free print-it-yourself files in this post
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving with your family and friends. I think this year I’ll sit at the kids table.