Hot chocolate has been the theme in my house for the past few days. I’ve already posted about how I created a hot cocoa bar using my DIY Chocolate-Peppermint Marshmallows, and now I’m sharing the hot chocolate mix recipe I used.
Plus I designed a free print-it-yourself Hot Chocoloate Christmas Gift Tag so you can give it as a Christmas gift this year. I think it would be such a fun stocking stuffer or neighbor gift because everyone needs reminded to have yourself a merry little Christmas!
Making your own hot chocolate mix is so easy and ensures you are enjoying an all-natural drink. I adapted this recipe from Martha Stewart. I would just point you to their recipe, but they didn’t describe some crucial steps in their written instructions. You only find them out if you watch a video that I found randomly. Total fail, as I had to redo mine after I saw the video. Oops! Basically I found out sifting your cocoa powder is key in making a mix without lumps. Do not skip this critical step!
Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix
- 3 1/2 Cups Sugar
- 2 1/4 Cups Cocoa Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Salt
Directions for Making Your Hot Chocolate Mix
- In large bowl, sift your cocoa powder. Sifting your cocoa powder makes sure you don’t have any lumps!
- Add sugar and salt, whisk to combine well.
- Store in airtight container – we used small mason jars (recipe makes enough for 2 1/2 jars).
- For gift giving, be sure to add our free, print-it-yourself Hot Chocolate Christmas Gift Tag. The gift tag comes complete with instructions so recipients know how to make their hot chocolate.
Directions for Making Your Hot Chocolate
- Use milk, preferably whole or 2-percent. Measure 2 tablespoons per cup of milk.
- For one cup, heat your milk in microwave and then stir in the mix.
- For larger batch, heat your milk on the stovetop and as it warms, stir in your mix.
Go big or go home! Try topping off your homemade hot chocolate with whipped cream, a chocolate-covered peppermint marshmallow and even a Chocolate-Covered Pretzel Rod. Be sure to see my DIY Chocolate-Peppermint Marshmallow tutorial for more details on adding the yummy marshmallow.