I love beet salad. Like really, really love. I mean, how can you not love a vegetable that pairs so nicely with candied walnuts and goat cheese? It’s oh so yummy so it just seemed natural to turn my favorite salad into a fun appetizer.
Thanks to so many amazing Trader Joe’s products you can make these in about 20 minutes. Don’t have Trader Joe’s, just check your local grocery store for similar products as I’ve seen all these same things at my Ralph’s. And if you don’t have these shortcut products, you can always steam your beets, candy your walnuts and reduce your balsamic vinegar into a glaze the old fashion ways. I just like shortcuts as semi-homemade is just fine by me.
- 1 baguette (I like sour dough, but a French baguette is great too)
- Olive oil
- Steamed & peeled baby beets (1 package or about 4 beets; diced it’s about 1 1/3 cups)
- 1/2-3/4 cup arugula, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup candied walnuts, coarsely chopped
- Lemon juice (1/2 of a large lemon or 1 small lemon)
- 8 oz creamy goat cheese
- Balsamic glaze
- Salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Slice baguette into 1/4 inch pieces. Brush both sides of baguette slices with olive oil and place on baking sheet. Bake until golden brown, about 8-10 minutes. Turn crostini over once during baking.
- While your bread is baking, dice your baby beets into small cubes. Mix the beets with a small handful (about 1/2-3/4 cup) of coarsely chopped arugula, candied walnuts, lemon juice and about 2 teaspoons of olive oil. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Once bread is done, spread crostini with goat cheese. Top with beet mixture and then drizzle with balsamic glaze.
- Serve up on a pretty platter and be ready to wow your guests!