Cheers to this cute wine bottle gift bag I dreamt up and made a reality. Wine bags are not only perfect when bringing a hostess gift, but I also love to use them on my bar when I’m entertaining. This one was inspired by Valentine’s Day and the cute arrow wine stopper I picked up at Target. I also borrowed from the aesthetic I used for creating my DIY Heart Ornament Pillows and used frayed linen again. I love the rustic, yet refined look.
This may seem complicated, but I promise it’s very simple and if you have 30 minutes I know you’re going to enjoy the outcome. This was a little scary to write a tutorial on because I just made it up as I went along and hope the instructions make sense. I used fabrics I already had, but if you need to go buy fabric, if you buy a 1/2 yard of linen and a 1/2 yard of coordinating cotton fabric, you’ll have enough fabric to make about three bags.
- Linen fabric – 1 piece 6.5″ x 32″ (Or 2 pieces, size 6.5″ x 16.25″)
- Coordinating cotton fabric – 1 piece 12″ x 16″ and 1 piece that’s about 4″ x 4″ (for heart)
- 15″ piece of pom pom fringe
- Heart Template (I used the small heart in my DIY Heart Ornament Pillow Template)
- Coordinating thread
- Sewing machine
- Cut your pieces of fabric according to the above measurements. Also cut out your small heart using the template.
- Fray the edges of your linen fabric, so you have a 1/4″ fringe on all sides. I used a seam riper to help. (NOTE: If doing two pieces of linen, only do three sides of each piece, leaving one short 6.5″ edge not frayed so you can sew the bottom seam. Put right sides together and sew along the 6.5″ side that was not frayed, creating the bottom seam of your bag.)
- Fold your linen in half wrong sides together the short way so your piece measures 6.5″ x 16″. Measure 4.5″ from the fold line. Pin on your heart so the bottom of the heart aligns with the 4.5″ mark. Make sure you only pin to the top layer of the folded fabric.
- Unfold your linen and top stitch the heart onto your linen about an 1/8″ from the raw edge of your heart. (If you are concerned about fraying—although it’s part of the look—you can use a zig zag stitch or hand appliqué your heart.)
- Fold your linen in half again, WRONG SIDES together the short way so your piece measures 6.5″ x 16″ and your heart is on the outside. Top stitch along both 16″ sides right along the frayed edges, it’s about a 1/4″ seam allowance.
- Now you’re going to do the liner and for this you need to remember to fold your fabric RIGHT SIDES together. So fold your coordinating cotton in half, right sides together the long way so your piece measures 6″ x 16″. Sew down the 16″ raw edge and the 6″ raw edge.
- Keep your liner bag so that it is wrong sides out and place inside the outer bag. Align the seam of the liner bag to one of the seams on the outer bag. Fold the inner bag under about 1/2″ and pin in place. Then top stitch together using a 1/8″ to 1/4″ seam allowance.
- Now all you need is a nice bottle of wine! Place your bottle inside the bag and tie shut using your pom pom fringe. Cheers!